Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Haiku Poetry, in a toy store?



Poetry?  "I did not enjoy that unit in school."

That was my judgement on poetry.  I can recall one of my high school English teachers talking of Iambic Pentameter and cadence and..... Que audio - Chalres M Schultz - Charlie Brown's Teacher. 

It was a whole poetry unit and sadly what I remember most was our teacher telling us that we had better not use lyrics from various songs in our writings, because "he would know."  In my foolish youthful rebelliousness I thought, yea right this guy is really listing to SAGA Worlds Apart - Wind him up. (For that matter it's questionable if I should have been either)

Although my teacher did not recognize the song, I wound up receiving a B-.  After plagiarizing various parts from the work of others, combined with my misguided rebelliousness in refusing to listen to direction, I forgot to add the refrain if you will.  The song has one but way too long.... My teacher solved it with two words under each plagiarized section, "Spinning Spinning".

Anyway, this is the background for my introduction into Haiku, another individually unique poetry style.  A game called Haiku You in particular.  This is where I told myself to drop my aversion to poetry and learn about the game.  The simple fact that one of our employees is related to the games creator had nothing to do with my new-found willingness either, wink.  That said, I am glad that yet again by dropping my preconceived misconceptions, it has allowed me to share on this GREAT BRAIN FOOD!

Haiku You is a local Colorado company and you'll find this game, for a short while longer anyway, in only a select group of locations of which JAKE's is currently one of them.  This is a first class game for learning about syl-la-bles', improving vocabulary, creative problem solving, art, team building, sometimes even spontaneous laughter, and so much more. Rather than try to detail out how to play I have the unique pleasure of presenting a series of Haiku's as completed by our staff.

The instructions were to write one Haiku about "I love Jake's Toy Box" and one about Summer.  For your enjoyment.

I love Jake's Toy Box                             A summer breeze flits
Seeing A Child Smile                              Through the green leaves of trees
Is the best feeling.    Grace D.                 Quiet and peaceful.    Grace D.

Unique toys fill the shelves                     I love Jake's toy box
and children play with fun toys               Jakes is where I find peace.
smiles are made here.  Rhyse F.              live, love, Jake's toy box.   Zlata T.

It's about darn time                                The sun shines so bright
This heat has got me all like                    Children play for hours on end
It's about darn time     Zlata T.               Three months of great fun.    Mary B.

So joyous our time                                Come to Jake's Toy Box
Among the toys & delight,                     Where the laughter always rings
Where fun never ends    Kylie                and the children smile.     Hunter C.

Know this game is just one of the many games available for checkout in our Game Library Program. What is that?  Please ask while joining us for Family Game Night or anytime your in for a visit.

All ages all abilities always welcome!



No comments:

Post a Comment